5/18/09
Well, it's out there. We told my sister, Casi, mom, step-dad, and Aunt LaDonna this weekend. I feel a lot better!! This hiding thing was wearing on me. And it was a success. So exciting.
First, we met Lin & Casi for dinner at their place last week. After dinner we just sat around chatting and watching TV and I handed Lin the sonogram photo. She just stared at it. Then Casi stared. Then they attacked us! It was so cute - Casi just kept saying "I'm so excited. I'm just so excited." And of course they've requested a girl. I'm not sure what I can do about that at this point, but I'll do my best. Even though my boy name rocks. Also, I was wrong - no tears from those girls!
Friday we headed to College Station for Adam's graduation and planned to tell my mom and step-dad. The plans were thrown a little at first. My step-dad left quickly after we got there, so he missed the big announcement. Then my mom wanted to take her own car. Somehow Lin managed to bypass that and she rode with us. I gave her the photo album and made her look at it on the way. She just kept going on and on about how it was the best gift ever...until she got to the last page. Then we got the "Oh my gosh!" and tears. I was armed with tissues. The second response "There is only one, right?" I had rational fears for having twins (they run on both sides of the family) so I was not offended. I then spent the next two hours through graduation catching her up on the past 6 weeks. I learned something - apparently my mom had horrible morning sickness with both my sister and I. I've still been a lucky person. She also called my step-dad who was pretty excited.
I had felt bad about holding out on telling them for so long. I mean, I'm pretty close to my mom. But Jason and I were pretty adamant that we didn't want most people to know until 12 weeks...just in case. So after I told my mom that she had to keep it secret for 2 more weeks, she said that she was glad I waited to tell her. I've mentioned that we're a family who isn't good at keeping secrets. :-)
Saturday mom had an appointment with LaDonna to get her nails done. Since everyone knows beauty shop talk spreads faster than wildfire, I made sure that those two would be the only ones in the shop. Then I had mom show LaDonna her photo album and we chatted on the phone. Once again I got the "Oh my gosh!" reaction followed by tears.
Overall it was fun telling them. I have sworn them to secrecy in not telling anyone else until the end of May. After that...I don't care! I'll be glad to tell work next week also. I'm getting grouchy and I hope that they don't vote me off the island before I tell them why I'm so grouchy.
No comments:
Post a Comment