Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

A berry by any other name

If you aren't from Texas I can pretty much guarantee you have never heard of a Dewberry. If you aren't from Central Texas, you probably haven't even had a Dewberry. I grew up eating them...they tend to grow wild and are best around Mother's Day. Every year I'd end up with purple fingers from picking my share (and eating more than I kept). So when my coworker asked for "something with fruit in it" instead of a birthday cake I decided on a Dewberry Cobbler. She's from College Station, so she's pretty familiar with my favorite berry. I channelled my inner Southern Lady and found a Paula recipe for Blackberry crisp. Since Dewberries taste pretty similar (they're a little more purple in color) it was a great swap.


Fresh Dewberry Crisp adapted from The Lady & Sons Just Desserts

  • 4 cups fresh dewberries, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350. Butter sides and bottom of a 9" square dish.

Place dewberries in a bowl, sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar and cinnamon, stir to cover the berries. In another bowl, stir together flour and remaining 1 cup sugar. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in butter until crumbly. Pour sugared berries into baking dish and cover with flour mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Good luck finding fresh dewberries. You may can find them at a Farmers Market, but other than that...you'll have to find someone who knows where to go.

Also, since Jason missed out on the dessert I used a small bag of frozen mixed berries (about 2 cups) this weekend and divided the recipe in half to make another crisp for us. It's a great, easy recipe.

No comments: