Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

Recipe Exchange: Chalupas!

I will fully admit two things about this recipe. First, I thought chalupas were either some sort of taco things...or beans, lettuce and cheese on a fried corn tortilla. Second, I was really intimidated by this recipe. But...I succeeded! We went to a friends house to hang out and drink some beers, so I used that time to try out the recipe. However, I forgot my camera at home and we ended up eating the whole batch of chalupas! It was so good!! Hopefully this does not violate the What's Cooking Recipe Exchange rules...

Chalupas from Food Network
  • 2 1/2 pound pork loin roast
  • 2 cups pinto beans, rinsed
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
  • 6 fresh green chilies, roasted, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 T chopped garlic
  • 1 T oregano
  • 2 T chili powder
  • salt and pepper
  • water

Place the roast, and all remaining ingredients in a large stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 3 hours. Remove the meat and continue to cook for another 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender.

Shred the meat and discard the fat. Return it to the pot and continue to cook for another hour, stiring often. Add more water if needed, until it thins out.

We served ours like a soup with chips, shredded cheese and some pico on top. For a crowd, this is perfect! I will probably make it again when we have guests over...but I will say you need a long day to do so.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I'm glad you liked the chalupas! Way to stretch your culinary muscles! The recipe looks intimidating, but as you found out, it really is fairly easy. Yeah recipe exchange!