When it comes to Valentine's Day, I would say we're the "in-between" type. We don't get all dolled up and go out for a $200 meal and wait 2 hours to be seated for mediocre service. We also don't ignore it all together. We typically do cards, a meal at home and (hopefully) I'll get flowers. The kind from the tent at Kroger, and that's perfectly fine with me. They cost less and usually last longer!
This year, as mentioned before, we hit up St. Arnold's Brewery. If you're in Houston, give this a shot. Cheap Saturday entertainment. The weather was iffy, so this was perfect. They offer a "tour" for $5 on Saturdays at 1pm. FYI - the "tour" is a 30 minute spiel about their beer followed by 4 8oz tastings. You can bring in your own food and utilize their picnic tables, if you get there early enough. We've learned a few things in going. First, you can buy a bigger glass (pint=$6) and bring that back for more beer. Who doesn't need that??? Second, you can bring in anything!!! This time we picked up Chili's To Go, but next time I'm packing a picnic. Third, if you like the dark ale type beers and you bring your own glass, get a Designated Driver. Trust me. We had one and I'm glad, even though I only had 3 of the "lighter" beers.
Later that afternoon, once my slight beer buzz wore off, Bridget and I made truffles. Jason is not a chocoholic so I think I'll be bringing them to work to avoid eating all of them myself. Bear, however, had them for breakfast. Next time I'll send them home with him. I've wanted to make the cake truffles for a while now, but went for something a bit easier this weekend. These were SO easy! The recipe was in the Fall edition of the Kraft Magazine (this magazine is free, so sign up online).
Chocolate Truffles adapted from Kraft
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat kind)
- 2 8oz pkgs Bakers Semi-Sweet Chocolate Squares
- Vanilla & Almond Extract (or any other flavor you might like)
Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Melt 1 box of chocolate squares in the microwave (30 sec increments, stirring each time) or over a double boiler. Stir the chocolate into the cream cheese. I divided the mixture and added about 1/2 t vanilla extract and 1/2 t almond extract to each, just to change the flavor. Refrigerate until firm. Roll the mixture into about 1 inch balls, place on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. Melt remaining chocolate and roll cream cheese balls in chocolate, placing them back on the wax paper to dry. Top with chopped pecans or sprinkles. Refrigerate for about another before serving.
1 comment:
a) that first pic of you guys is really really cute!
b) i can't believe i've never been to st. arnold's. it was always a "i'll do that eventually" thing.
Post a Comment